Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Life in Airlie

One of a school of catfish that regularly feeds on scraps

This cod was over a metre and a half long and spent the day under "Zen"



The catfish that I caught measured and returned and later turned up with the school of catfish.





At last it seems that the La Nina system is easing and good weather is becoming the norm rather than the exception. Today, and indeed the last few days have been picture postcard perfect, cool enough in the evening to sleep and fine and sunny during the day with moderate breezes. As "Zenataos" has become a rather permanent presence in the bay outside the sailing club I have begun to attract some company. Some weeks ago I caught a catfish that was over a metre in length and after photographing it I released it back into the water. A small group of fish clusters under "Zens" ample shelter and occasionally larger fish, including on one occasion, a metre and a half cod which spent the entire day under the boat. I then began to notice large catfish feeding on food scraps at the back of the boat and they have become a fixture, appearing to investigate any disturbance of the water. One of the fish is the one I released, identified by a scar on its back.

The calmer weather and lack of rain has made the water clearer and I often get over the side and remove any growth and barnacles from the hull. I still have a bit of damage that needs to be repaired(compliments of the cyclones) but will need to beach "Zen" to accomplish that.

No comments:

Post a Comment