Saturday, August 28, 2010

macona inlet to hill inlet

Hill Inlet at high tide
tuesday 24th August
Very early start so that I would arrive at Hill Inlet on the top of the tide which was at 10.30hrs. I motored "Zen" up to"Sasu" and dropped off piccys to Alan. There was little or no wind and I ended up motor sailing all the way to Hill Inlet arriving just on top of the tide and began to try and find the deepest channel in. Another Catamaran had cut the corner and run aground but was able to get off as the tide rose. The owner was very experienced and knew the area well and took the ground on purpose. I followed a deeper channel across to the Northern side but got a bit lost and finally touched bottom metres from the channel. A bit of reverse saw me clear and I had no more difficulty in negotiating the passage and eventually dropped anchor in clear water of abot 2.5 metres depth. This meant that I would be aground at low tide but that was o.k. as "Zen" is quite happy to sit on her keels. I had previously released the rudders and pulled the blades up so that I could navigate the shallower water. There was a Fastback 43 already in and anchored as well as a small fishing boat. After launching the larger inflatable I did a quick explore and then settled in for low tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment